HLT51015 – Diploma of Paramedical Science
This qualification reflects the role of pre-hospital and out-of-hospital emergency health care workers employed in the private sector to provide patient assessment, health care and transport services.
Qualified graduates will possess clinical skills and theoretical knowledge and provide clinical assessment and pre-hospital and out-of-hospital interventions to patients in an emergency, including providing advanced skills in life support.
The HLT51015-Diploma of Paramedical Science has been developed to provide graduates with a Nationally Recognised qualification offering;
- Employment in the rapidly developing private sector as a Medic/ESO Paramedic.
- A pathway into university to study a Bachelor in Paramedic Science on the way to becoming a registered Ambulance Paramedic.
- An opportunity to work as a Paramedic with the London Ambulance Service.
Course Duration & Requirements
18-24 months with 160 hours of *clinical placement required.
There is a requirement to complete 2 separate weeks of clinical workshops and competency reviews at training campuses in QLD, VIC, WA and/or NSW. Choose whichever training campus is closer to you.
*Clinical placement is classed as supervised activities undertaken by a student to work (paid or volunteer) as a real paramedic. Placements can be with an Ambulance service, Rural fire service, SES, event organisers etc. The College has associations with a number of medical services providers, who have a presence in most states.
Additionally, on the college’s facebook page, there are often requests made for students to attend a wide variety of functions and events in a non-emergency medic capacity.
|1||BSBMED301 – Interpret and apply medical terminology in the workplace|
|2||HLTINF001 – Comply with Infection Prevention and Control Policies and Procedures|
|3||HLTAAP002 – Confirm Physical Health Status|
|4||HLTAMB001 – Follow Procedures for Routine Safe Removal of Patients|
|5||HLTAMB012 – Communicate in Complex Situations to support Health Care|
|6||HLTAMB014 – Transport Non-Emergency Patients/Operational Conditions|
|7||HLTAMB007 – Assess and Deliver Basic Clinical Care|
|8||HLTWHS002 – Follow Safe Work Practices for Direct Client Care|
|9||HLTAMB011 – Manage a Routine Non-Emergency|
|10||HLTAMB013 – Contribute to Managing the Scene of an Emergency|
|Clinical Workshop (1) = 7 Days + Clinical Placement (1) = 80 hours field work
|11||HLTAMB008 – Assess and Deliver Standard Clinical Care|
|Clinical Workshop (2) = 5 Days + Clinical Placement (2) = 80 hours field work
|11||CHCPRP003 – Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|14||BSBMGT401 – Show Leadership in the Workplace|
|15||CHCLEG001 – Work Legally and Ethically|
|16||CHCDIV001 – Work with Diverse People|
|17||HLTWHS006 – Manage Personal Stressors in the Work Environment|
Clinical Skills Development
After completing the HLT51015 – Diploma in Paramedical Science, graduates possess knowledge and skills equivalent to the level of Life Support Medic. This includes advanced airways, 12 lead ECG monitoring and manual defibrillation, IV cannulation and fluid resuscitation, chest decompression.
Advanced drug therapy protocols (DTP’s) are included, as well as those covered including: Adrenaline, Atropine, Frusemide, Metoclopramide, Morphine, Midazolam, Ondansetron etc.
How to source your work placement
Students are encouraged to seek local work placement volunteer opportunities as this makes achieving work placement requirements more likely. The Australian Paramedical College does however have relationships with host organisations and will regularly advertise these opportunities to students via the Facebook Students Forum, direct email to students and by way of the clinical workshops.
To apply and secure your work placement position, the following documentation must be submitted and signed by both the host organisation and Australian Paramedical College.
When does clinical placement take place?
There are mandatory pre-requisites that you must have satisfied to receive confirmation to commencement your placement.
- You must hold a current first aid certificate.
- You must have completed all modules of training deemed suitable by the College.
- Attended and been deemed competent in all simulated workplace practical demonstrations in Clinical Workshop 1.
This is an excellent opportunity to prepare well in advance to develop the role of an Advanced Care Paramedic/Medic in pre-hospital emergency and community-related health care.
The College is proud of its extensive student support network. Our students enjoy the peace of mind that expert help and assistance is always on-hand whenever they need it; including additional assistance with;
- Time management techniques to maintain momentum throughout the course
- Stress management techniques (including personal coaching)
- Study method tips to get the most out of the course
- Self-care tips to make study enjoyable and meaningful
- Financial provisions to help spread the cost of study
- Upon completing the HLT51015 – Diploma of Paramedical Science, the following is an example of the types of jobs that could be available;
- Life Support Medic (to skill level greater than a Certificate IV Basic Life Support Medic)
- Industrial medic in the private sector
- Event Medic/First Responder
- Emergency Services Officer (mining and industrial)
- London Ambulance Paramedic (subject to acceptance and UK registration)
- There are no pre-requisite qualifications required to enrol in this course. Although a good understand of English and math is highly recommended. Potential students who feel challenged by the thought of training at this level can be assessed by the College.
- Owing to the high volume of enquiries, the college maintains a student selection process, every application is reviewed by our in-house panel. We do this to maintain a high-quality training environment, whilst keeping the student/trainer ratios equitable to give every student the maximum level of support they need.
- For information on the application process please see below.
- For the complete course outline, call us today on (07) 5520 2522 for more information about the HLT51015 – Diploma of Paramedical Science
- Fill out our the application form on our Paramedical training website
- A member of admissions tea, will contact you to arrange a phone interview.
- Your application will be reviewed by selection panel to determine suitability and progression into this course.
- Industry Pathways is a leading provider of nationally recognised Paramedical training courses and is a Registered Training Organisation: (NPN:32513).