HLT51015 – Diploma of Paramedical Science
This qualification reflects the role of pre-hospital and out-of-hospital emergency health care workers employed in the private sector to provide patient assessment, health care and transport services.
Qualified graduates will possess clinical skills and theoretical knowledge and provide clinical assessment and pre-hospital and out-of-hospital interventions to patients in an emergency, including providing advanced skills in life support.
The HLT51015-Diploma of Paramedical Science has been developed to provide graduates with a Nationally Recognised qualification offering;
- Employment in the rapidly developing private sector as a Medic/ESO Paramedic etc
- A pathway into university to study a Bachelor in Paramedic Science
Clinical Skills Development
After completing the HLT51015 – Diploma in Paramedical Science, graduates possess knowledge and skills equivalent to the level of Advanced Life Support (ALS) Paramedic/Medic. This includes advanced airways, an introduction to 12 lead ECG monitoring and manual defibrillation, IV cannulation and fluid resuscitation, chest decompression. Although there are changes to the Paramedic sector taking place, this qualification is the highest you can achieve at the Vocational Education & Training level.
Advanced drug therapy protocols (DTP’s) are included, as well as those covered including: Adrenaline, Atropine, Frusemide, Metoclopramide, Morphine, Midazolam, Ondansetron etc.
Course Duration & Requirements
18-24 months with 160 hours of *clinical placement required.
There is a requirement to complete 1 week of clinical workshops and competency reviews at training campuses in QLD, VIC and/or NSW.
*Clinical placement is classed as supervised activities undertaken by a student to work (paid or volunteer) as a real paramedic. Placements can be with an Ambulance service, Rural fire service, SES, event organisers etc. The College has associations with a number of medical services providers, who have a presence in most states.
Additionally, on the college’s facebook page, there are often requests made for students to attend a wide variety of functions and events in a non-emergency medic capacity.
Units to be studied in this course
|1||HLTINF001 Comply with Infection Prevention and Control Policies and Procedures|
|2||HLTAMB010 Manage and Coordinate Resources for Emergency Operations|
|3||HLTAAP002 Confirm Physical Health Status|
|4||CHCCOM005 Communicate and Work in Health or Community Services|
|5||HLTAMB002 Implement Safe Access and Egress in an Emergency|
|6||HLTAMB013 Contribute to Managing the Scene of an Emergency|
|7||CHCCCS020 Respond Effectively to Behaviours of Concern|
|8||HLTAMB008 Assess and Deliver Standard Clinical Care|
|Workshop (7 Days)
Clinical Placement Hours 160 (HLTAMB008)
|9||HLTWHS002 Follow Safe Work Practices for Direct Client Care|
|10||HLTWHS006 Manage Personal Stressors in the Work Environment|
|11||CHCDIV001 Work with Diverse People|
|12||HLTAMB012 Communicate in Complex Situations to Support Health Care|
|13||CHCLEG001 Work Legally and Ethically|
|14||HLTAMB011 Manage a Routine Non-Emergency|
|15||HLTAMB001 Follow Procedures for Routine Safe Removal of Patients|
|16||HLTAMB014 Transport Non-Emergency Patients under Operational Conditions|
|17||HLTAMB003 Transport Emergency Patients|
How to source your work placement?
You are encouraged to seek local work placement volunteer opportunities as this makes achieving your work placement requirements more likely. Australian Paramedical College does however have existing relationships with host organisations and will regularly advertise these opportunities to students via the Facebook Students Forum, direct emails to cohorts and at Clinical Workshops.
It is important you notify us of your prospective work placement host so that we can ensure an agreement is in place to secure your placement opportunity.
To apply and secure your work placement position, the following documentation must be submitted and signed by both the host organisation and Australian Paramedical College.
Copy of students current Blue Card http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au/
Copy of students National Police Checks – no more than 6 months old from start date of placement
- Australian Paramedical College Work Placement agreement – signed by student and host. Australian Paramedical College will contact the host organisation and then sign and send a copy to all parties
- Copy of photo ID
Upon receiving this documentation, the host organisation will be contacted by our Clinical Placement Lead to ensure they are able to fulfil the requirements of your course.
When do I commence my work/clinical placement?
There are mandatory pre-requisites that you must have satisfied to receive confirmation to commencement your placement.
- You must hold a current first aid certificate
- You must have completed all modules of training leading up to Clinical Workshop 1
- Attended and been deemed competent in all simulated workplace practical demonstrations in Clinical Workshop 1.
This is an excellent opportunity to prepare well in advance to develop the role of an Advanced Care Paramedic/Medic in pre-hospital emergency and community-related health care.
There are no pre-requisite qualifications required to enrol in this course. Although a good understand of English and math is highly recommended.
The College is proud of its extensive student support network. Our students enjoy the peace of mind that expert help and assistance is always on-hand whenever they need it; including additional assistance with;
- Time management techniques to maintain momentum throughout the course
- Stress management techniques (including personal coaching)
- Study method tips to get the most out of the course
- Self-care tips to make study enjoyable and meaningful
- Financial provisions to help spread the cost of study
- Upon completing the HLT51015 – Diploma of Paramedical Science, the following is an example of the types of jobs that could be available;
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) Paramedic
- Industrial medic in the private sector
- Event Medic/Paramedic
- Emergency Services Officer
- Owing to the high volume of enquiries, the college maintains a student selection process, every application is reviewed by our in-house panel. We do this to maintain a high-quality training environment, whilst keeping the student/trainer ratios equitable to give every student the maximum level of support they need.
- For information on the application process please see below.
- For the complete course outline, call us today on (07) 5520 2522 for more information about the HLT51015 – Diploma of Paramedical Science
- Fill out our the application form on our Paramedical training website
- A member of staff will be in touch to arrange a phone interview.
- Your application will be reviewed by selection team to determine suitability and progression into this course.
- Please read our
- before booking this course
- Industry Pathways is a leading provider of nationally recognised Paramedical training courses and is a Registered Training Organisation: (NPN:32513).